Sunday, February 28, 2010

February 28, 2010. Mexico. Hockey.

The noise was deafening. What a difference a goal makes. When the US team scored just at the end of regulation time, the bar was silent. Not a sound. The whole place was full of Canadians, all wearing red shirts, some sporting the red mittens. They were enthusiastic and loud, sure that their team would win. For a while, everyone was nervous, except me, who didn't care who won. Only three people in the bar were from the US, everyone else, including all the waiters were cheering for the Canadians.

Ken and I took the trolley over to the steal house on the other side of the canal. It is new, and we figured less people would come to watch the game. Most of the restaurant is outside, but the bar, outfitted with many many televisions, is at the back of the restaurant. When we arrived thirty minutes prior to the game, the place was full, except for two seats at the end of the bar. That was our spot for the next few hours. Even though the room was crowded and noisy everyone was having a great time, especially when Canada was ahead by two goals.

Truthfully, it was a good game, hard fought by both teams. But I only managed to stay in my bar stool by the skin of my teeth. What saved me was the buffet to nibble on the whole time. I discovered that I never watch a whole hockey game, but rather read a bit and walk around a bit and talk on the phone too. In that bar, I had to watch the whole game and enjoy every minute. Fortunately I was able to tell folks that we were Canadians and lived in Nova Scotia, close to Sidney Crosby's home town. Today was the day to be a Canadian!!

No comments: