Thursday, May 20, 2010

May 20, 2010. Western Head, N.S. Rhubarb.

Stewed rhubarb is a delicacy, at least to me. Rhubarb grows well in Canada, growing anew every year after the long cold winter, then flourishing during the surprising summer. Canadians know a lot of things to cook with rhubarb, but unless you grew up with it, the taste is horrid. My friend Mary will not it it, except in a strawberry/rhubarb pie, while Walt, along with me, loves to eat stewed rhubarb. Ken will not eat it either, probably because his Mother served it once too often.

Tuesday evening Walt and Mary arrived with a large shopping bag of rhubarb, cut from their property in Shelburne County. I was thrilled. Wednesday I cooked rhubarb which required two large pots. I ran out of sugar and resorted to honey. When I was out of honey I drove to Gill's house and raided her pantry for sugar, thus avoiding a drive to the store. Friends living nearby is a great blessing. Now two containers are in the frig ready to eat and four in the freezer ready for guests. Of course, most guests probably won't really like eating stewed rhubarb but I will count on them to be polite and eat quietly, or perhaps I will serve it over ice cream. Everything tastes good with ice cream!!.

No comments: