Saturday, May 29, 2010

May 29, 2010. Western Head, N.S. Problem Solved.

The bed in The Carriage House is a work of art, made by David Nickerson, as a replica of an antique bed made in the seventeenth century in Nova Scotia and found in an old book. It is a lovely piece of furniture, with one exception that it was almost impossible to make the bed. The side rung is directly along the mattress. David is a skilled carpenter, not a bed maker. Fortunately the bed is not used much but every time I change the sheets I try to figure out a solution. Now the problem is solved.

Today, delivered to the house was a low rise box spring. The men struggled to get it up the stairs but eventually their pushing and pulling paid off. Only one gouge on the wall. The new box spring sits on top of the old big box spring with the mattress on top, so now I can get at the mattress to change the sheets. After the men put it in place, I remade the bed very quickly. In the old system, it took me thirty minutes to change the sheets, in fact I needed Ken's help to lift up the mattress. Now it is perfect.

Except that climbing up on the bed will be a trick for short people and you certainly do not want to fall out of bed in your sleep. But my problem is solved!!

No comments: