Wednesday, May 5, 2010

May 5, 2010. Chevy Chase, Md. Bethesda.

Walking around Bethesda is a delight. The sights and sounds have unbelievable variety. I walked past a store selling Italian goods, right next to a large place selling only hand made objects. On one block of Bethesda Avenue I passed eight restaurants, with tables out-side on the side walk as well is inside. At three o'clock today an older couple were sitting at an outside table drinking wine and eating an appetizer, enjoying the weather and each other. It was a lovely scene.

Forty years ago when we moved to Bethesda, the down town area was boring. In order to dine well you were forced into D.C. One drug store and one movie theater and one restaurant was all that you could find in sleepy little Bethesda. Now the place has a buzz with over two hundred restaurants and lots and lots of speciality stores, all available for your shopping pleasure. I love Bethesda. Now I know the traffic is dense and the streets are always crowded, all day and all night. But the parking is easy if you plan ahead and the Metro is easy so I will put up with the traffic in order to have the variety and excitement.

I still have friends who tell me that they loved the old Bethesda and just hate the hustle and bustle. But not me. I love Bethesda.

No comments: