Sunday, May 9, 2010

May 9, 2010. Dickie Creek Farm, Artemas, Pa. Mother's Day

When I was growing up, in our family, Mother's Day was not a big deal. My Father always felt and acted as if every day was Mother's Day. He thought that Mother's Day was a day designed and made popular by the greeting card and floral companies, so he did not make a big deal about Mother's Day celebrations. Dad spoke often about his own mother, always with kind and loving comments and he treated his wife well, so he wanted to have everyone act as if every day was Mother's Day, just not one day a year. He thought that Mother's Day was just another commercial endeavor.

Those early attitudes kind of stay with you, so in our family Ken and I have never made a big deal with the event. It is probable that my boy's feel the same, although we have never spoken about it. My Father thought very highly about his Mother. She, according to everyone who knew her, was a lovely lady who despite many difficulties and hardships kept her optimistic gentle manner. I do not know anything specific about her behavior, but my Mother also spoke well of her Mother-in-law so I must assume the description was accurate. I do not ever recall any comments from my Mother concerning Mother's Day. Certainly all of us three children paid attention to our Mother, not only on Mother's Day but also all through the year. Each of us in turn, when we were working even only on the weekends, brought a rose to Mother each week, and we all paid attention to her on Mother's Day all her life.

For myself, I think both attitudes are correct. Everyone should respect and support Mothers all through the year, but I also think an extra dose of attention is perfectly acceptable at Mother's Day. I'm looking forward to the calls from David and Andrew!!

No comments: