Monday, May 3, 2010

May 3, 2010. Chevy Chase, Md. Canada Geese.

Once again, they are taking turns sitting on their eggs, in the same nest that they have used for the past five years. These two geese are so diligent. The eggs are never left uncovered. The pond also includes two wood ducks which is the first year the geese have tolerated any ducks. The problem is that the nest is exposed to all creatures both man and beast and so far the goslings do not grow up, but disappear soon after they are born. Poor geese, year after year, their brood meeting with disaster. This year I thought they were going to choose a better nest, but no luck.

One goose stands on the little fishing dock and surveys the whole pond from it's perch. It is a cute picture. At the end of the pond sits an old bench. A tree fell on it and we want to remove this damaged bench, but this is not the time to move it, as the goose would be very upset if we work so close to the nest. The geese strut around farm when the visit the cattle. I was driving the car up to the hill house, with the goose walking slowly in front of the truck as it waddles back to the pond. Clearly, it was not upset with my presence. They are so elegant with these two in our pond.

I am told that in order to allow the goslings to grow up we must shoot the snapping turtle who live in the pond. But I say no. Let the geese find another pond or lake. The turtle was there first and can live one hundred years and it eats the little fish, thus keeping the pond in balance. I say let nature look after itself. I am a hard lady. But I would like to see the little goslings swimming around the pond, then fly south for the winter. I just don't want it enough to kill the snapping turtle. And that is that!!.

No comments: