Sunday, November 28, 2010

November 28, 2010. Artemas, Pa. Anticipation.

Katie, Christina's sister-in-law who lives in Jackson and who I like very much, asked me why I did not seem to be excited about being retired. I gave her two reasons.
1. I have been partially retired for the past three years so I have learned how to be retired. Now I am just doing it all the time, so it wasn't really anything to be excited about.
2. My life long habit is to stay steady. I never get either excited or depressed for the simple reason that no event is purely wonderful or horribly disastrous. Much about my retirement pleases me very much. Ken and I can stay as long as possible in warm air which we hope will help his health. I will be able to spend more time with the grandchildren and be a bigger part of their lives. My friend Bev. and I hope to see each other every year, now that I am retired. For these reasons and more, I am pleased to be retired. But like every other event in life, it is not purely delightful. I had hoped to keep the working platform stable for the agents for the next ten years. We only made three so I feel badly for them. Also, I enjoyed my work. I have been working and making money since I was thirteen, so not doing that will be an adjustment, so retirement for me is not all gravy.

This steadiness has served me well in my life. Now I enter my retirement years with the hope that I have the skills necessary for a successful life. I am pleased and confident.

3 comments:

Joe Rubin said...

This post moves me, I am compelled to respond, yet the thoughts are clumsy and disjointed. I will offer this; just as you insisted on promoting the "upper east side initiative" all the way to Wes foster the day *after* you retired, there are those of us here who continue to study, with renewed vigor, the ways and means of your management style. Even as an exercise of foresnsic deconstruction, we continue to learn from you, from your qualities of perception and empowerment to our discovery of the not-so-subtle distinction between leadership and management. Without being morbid or morose, I am safe to say that your legacy lives on, if only we can seize the power. Of course we miss you; you are irreplaceable. Everyone here who has known you has grown from the experience. That is epic.

Joe Rubin said...

Damn. Can I please clean up my typos?

Rambling with Ruth said...

Joe: Thank you for your kind words. We had a long successful run and the truth is that you know everything that I know about being a fine real estate agent. Just stay the course.