Tuesday, January 10, 2012

January 10, 2012. Playa Royale, Mexico. Brown Pelicans.

Today I spotted fifty pelicans cruising along the water, just close to the lip of the waves.  They fly in a row.  From a distance, they appear to touch the water but when we went walking along the beach this morning you could see space between the birds and the water.  Last evening I saw twenty five pelicans floating and gliding high over our heads.  They are just wonderful birds to watch  because it seems effortless even though you know the birds are big.

Up until now, I have seen only one or two pelicans but not any more.  They have arrived.   Now we will watch for their flypast, when they start well north along the shore and very high up in the sky, and fly all along to the south.  It is an impressive sight.  These are brown pelicans.  As far as I know, we do not have white pelicans here, but I am not sure.  I do know I love to watch these brown pelicans fly especially when they fly right along the tip of the waves.  As they would say in Nova Scotia, "It is some pretty".

No comments: