Monday, January 9, 2012

January 9, 2012. Playa Royale, Mexico. The New Criterion.

I am just now reading an issue of The New Criterion.  It is a wonderful magazine of culture and history along with events current to the world of today.  It brings to my brain discussions I have never experienced in the past.  I was not classically educated.  I was educated in order to teach.  I have been trying play catch up ever since.  Thus the reading of The New Criterion.

This issue is all about the decline or not of The United States and is the result of a symposium held in New York earlier this year, so the articles are the papers given at that event.  Earlier this year, Commentary also asked or their writers "Are you optimistic or Pessimistic about America?"  For two issues we the readers read why not and their reasons for their answers.  This is more of the same, couched in a different manner.

This issue of The New Criterion gives ample food for thought along with masses of statistics  to back up the ideas.   Whichever side you are backing, you could certainly find agreement from someone in those papers.  I enjoy reading The New Criterion but this January issue is worth the price of the whole annual subscription.

No comments: