Tuesday, January 31, 2012

January 31, 2012. Playa Royale, Mexico. Arthur Koestler.

Michael Scummell wrote the latest biography of Arthur Koestler.  It is a tour de force of a book.  Arthur Koestler was famous in his life time but after his death in 1983,  his reputation  sunk like a stone, even though he wrote over 30 books, at least 5 considered to be superb.    Now I think people are beginning to re-think his works.   I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the life of this man, even though I did not like Mr. Koestler.

The question is always about productivity and creativity and this book tells a lot about the process.  Koestler was born Hungarian, published first in German, and finally wrote and lectured in English, the only author to have done such a feat.  He was clearly very very smart but he was also very very difficult.   I have never agreed  that clever productive people have a free ride on decency but I enjoyed the whole story of how all those works were written.  Creativity is a mystery to me.   Reading this biography gave me a bit of insight into how things get done.   "Koestler: The Literary and Political Odyssey of a 20th Century..." by Michael Scummell is worth reading.

No comments: