Saturday, July 18, 2015

July 18, 2015. Western Head, N.S. The Pan American Games.

When I was a high school student in Vancouver, The Pan American Games were a big deal.   One of the students, who was in the 12th grade, was running in the games that year.  If my memory is correct, her name was Gerry Bemmister.    Movies from the games were shown at assemblies,  and when she returned she was a star.    To my knowledge, I have not heard about the Pan American Games since that time, which must have been in 1951 or 1952.   I know the games are held every four years, but I never noticed them and  have no idea why.

But now the games are being held in Toronto.   I am now watching the games every day on CBC and thoroughly enjoying them.  It helps that the Canadians are doing well and that I am watching a Canadian channel but the quality of the competition is high.  In the fall, most sports will be holding the World Championships, when the delegates to the Olympics will be selected, so the athletes are working up to their peak.  Perhaps that is why the competitors are so keen.   Unfortunately, we only get one cable channel showing the games so I am missing lots of the minor sports.  But I am loving it.   In four years I will watch for the games again.

No comments: