Friday, July 31, 2015

July 31, 2015. Western Head, N.S. Hoggies.

In an attempt to empty out the garage, I called Art, who owns the used furniture store in town.  He calls his place Hoggies.  He is a nice man, who came back to Liverpool to live when he retired from his job in Toronto.  He had been an accountant.  We have gotten to know him over the years, buying pieces and bringing things to him when no longer needed.  Our habit was to just give him the objects to sell and not expect any money.  We wanted him to stay in business.

During the visit of the grandchildren, no one played with the antique cradle,  the old wagon or the gramophone so I decided to gives all three to Hoggies.   According to Art, most people expect him to buy the object outright so he was delighted when I told him that he could just keep them and sell them and pocket the money.    And I wanted to clear out the garage to get rid of clutter that was not being used.   I spoke to him this morning and he came directly from the store closing, which was at 4:00.   He was pleased and quickly loaded the three pieces on his truck.

Then he went to his truck and brought me back a gift.   As he approached me, all I could think was that he was giving me a large object, while I was trying to get rid of large objects.   I could see that the gift was heavy but how could I refuse a gift?   He seemed so pleased to be giving me what ever was in the bag.   Then he let me off the hook.  He said, "Ruth, if you don't like this bowl, feel free to give it to one of your friends.  You and your friends have always been so helpful to me at my business".   Now I am the proud owner of a beautiful cut glass pin wheel pedestal bowl.   It is heavy and is now sitting in the middle of the dining table.   I will see how long it sits there until I donate it to a friend.

No comments: