Tuesday, July 28, 2015

July 28, 2015. Western Head, N.S. Bats in the Belfry.

Fortunately, we have no bats in our belfry, but we do have squirrels in the ceiling.   Most of our folks can not hear the pitter patter over head.  They are hard of hearing.  But when no one else is there, I can hear the sounds coming from the ceiling of the living room right over my head where I sit on the couch.

Ten years ago we heard the same sounds and discovered that a little red squirrel was sneaking into the cellar and running up the walls and having a party over our heads.   The red squirrels in Nova Scotia are very cute.  They are half the size of a normal gray squirrel and have a bushy long curly tail.   At first we thought it might be mice but one day I spotted a red squirrel sitting on the post looking into the room.   When I approached, he ran down the path and disappeared.  He had run into the drain running from the cellar.  Right off I knew how he was getting into our walls.   Ken checked the drain to discover the mesh was no longer covering the drain so he replaced the mesh on both ends of the drain and the squirrel was not heard from again..until now.

The exterminator has placed two traps in our cellar along with bait to entice the squirrels.   And we will have someone check the drain.  Ken can no longer get down to check them.  Soon I hope to hear only silence over my head when sitting in the living room.    It is interesting to know that I seem to be the only one who can hear these little feet scurrying along over my head.  I know these red squirrels are sweet looking but I want neither bats nor squirrels in my belfry.

No comments: