Thursday, July 30, 2015

July 30, 2015. Western Head, N.S. The Parking Lot.

 Parking at the hospital costs money.  To get out, you must pay $4.   It is simple.  You take two coins of $2. each.    The gate goes up so you can drive out.   In Canada, the dollars are coins with a picture of a loon, thus called a loonie.  And there is also a two dollar coin and named a toonie.    The first time Gill and I arrived at the gate to get out of the parking lot, we discovered we had no coins, so we tried to use a credit card, but to no avail.  No credit cards allowed, so we sat and talked about what to do.  Finally a nice young man let us out with his pass to open the gate.

The next time I was by myself.  As I was visiting the doctor, they gave me a token which activates the gate, but when I tried to put the token into the slot, my left hand refused to co-operate and the token fell to the ground.  While I was peering out the window trying to figure out how to get the token, another nice young man came with his pass to open the gate.  Free again.

The problem was my left hand which has a lot of neuropothy, so I decided in the future to get out of the truck and put the money into the slot with my right hand, which works better than my left.  So I did, but I was too close to the gate for the door to open properly so I was forced to squeeze out the door, put the 2 toonies in the slot,  and get back in the truck before the gate closed again.  It was not pretty but it was effective.

Today we had the drill down perfectly.  Doreen came with me.  When we were ready to leave, I gave her two toonies and when we approached the gate she got out of the truck and put the two coins in the slot.  When the gate opened, I drove out and she walked out to get into the truck.  Our system must have looked odd but it was a smooth operation.  No coins were dropped and no one needed to rescue us.  We have this parking lot  drill down pat.  But it is clear to me that to exit the parking lot at the hospital, I must have two people in the truck.  Then I am good to go!!

No comments: