Tuesday, November 17, 2015

November 17, 2015. Madison, Ms. The Blue Jacket.

When you are as old as me, every object has a story…and a fond memory.  This morning I went walking.  Before leaving the house, I looked through the jackets hung in the kitchen closet.  I needed a jacket with pockets and I needed one that was wind proof.  But I did not want one too warm.  Yesterday the fleece jacket I wore was too hot.  We had brought jackets from the condo and the farm, so we have lots from which to select.  Right at the back of the closet I found my favorite walking jacket.  And I smiled and put it on.

Thirty years ago, I gave that jacket to Andrew for Christmas, along with lots and lots of other clothes.  He thanked me and hung it in his closet.  But he never wore it.  When he went to college, I was packing his clothes to move to our new home when I found the jacket and I took it for my own.  The jacket is cotton,  like a heavy T shirt, and it has buttons.   It is long, coming down to mid thigh on me.  The waist can be snugged in tight, as is the bottom, so in a high wind, you can keep out the cold.  And the fabric breathes, so you do not get hot.  It is a wonderful walking jacket, but it is definitely not fashionable.  Andrew never did discover I had confiscated his jacket but I had been wearing it ever since when I went walking.  I am pleased to have discovered this old friend, the blue jacket and I will wear it for my walks every day here in Mississippi.  And I will smile with the memory.

No comments: