Monday, November 23, 2015

November 23, 2015. Madison, Ms. The Disappearing Bill.

The seller of our home, Mrs. Jones,  hired Bill to make the four pages of repairs required from the home inspection.  The listing agent knew Bill.  He worked hard and completed his tasks, just in time for settlement so we were grateful for his work.  After settlement we hired him for several jobs and he was competent.   But Ken and I always wondered why he was working as a handyman as he was well educated and had trained as a minister.  He was pleasant too.  We early noticed that he had difficulty sticking with a task so we wondered if he had ADD.   We were only in our new home for three weeks but several times I would get a text from Bill telling me he would be there at 8:00, except he would appear at 4:00 with no words of explanation.

We left for Texas at the end of April and left two tasks for Bill to complete before our return in October.  Much to our surprise, we have not seen him since we left.  I have received several phone calls with reasons for his inability to complete the tasks and several texts telling me he would be here tomorrow at 8:00, but he never appeared.  He has vanished.   Clearly he has gone off the deep end but in the meantime, we hired other people to assemble the cook top and to complete the hand rail.   And we have a new handyman, Chantes, so we are fine, but what has happened to Bill?

I am reminded of the old adage about finding something that was too good to be true only to find that they were not really true.  Bill seemed to be too good to be true.  He could do everything and anything. And he was smart.  But something was not right with Bill.  I wonder if he will ever surface?  I know that he will not work for us again, as he is too undependable.    But I would like to know what has happened to disappearing Bill.  I want the end of the story.

No comments: