Wednesday, May 2, 2018

May 2, 2018. Madison, Mississippi. Silver Sauce Bowls.

The farm houses had been organized but both looked a mess. Wendy had come to help along with Rita and Ian. To my knowledge, our organization worked perfectly except for a pair of silver sauce bowls. The packers came first. Our system was simple. If an object was on the floor, it was to be packed and put into storage. Objects left in the cabinets or drawers were to be sold at auction. And all the art was to be packed and stored too. We had thousands of books so we did the same with them. Books on the floor were to come with us. Left on the shelf meant being sold at the auction. The packers had an easy time and soon our valuable stuff drove off in the van to storage. After we bought our house, our belongings were delivered to us in Mississippi. The auction was held in June and it went well. Every object was sold which meant the house was free of furniture and objects and broom clean. Wonderful Wendy came to Mississippi and unpacked our boxes. A few days after everything was put away, I was not able to find two silver sauce bowls, which had been in our dining hutch. I looked everywhere as did Wendy. The bowls were not to be found. Ken and I had purchased those 2 bowls in Toronto from an antique dealer in Yorkville. They were sterling and they were Irish. They may have been the most expensive objects we owned. Now I had lost them. I suspect that for some reason, they did not get packed so were sold at the auction. Or perhaps someone noticed it's value and took them, which would surprise me because I do not think any of the packers were knowledgable. But whatever happened, I lost my silver sauce bowls. I notice again a few days ago when I needed a sauce bowl. Once again, I felt badly about the lost bowls. They were beautiful and they were old. But they were merely objects. I quickly found another container for the salad dressing the other night. And I admonished myself to be more careful in the future. No sense crying over spilled milk.

No comments: