Friday, October 24, 2014

October 24, 2014. Canyon Lake, Texas. Commentary.

Finally, I have it all straight. Now I am able to read Commentary magazine on my iPad. Somehow or other, the subscription department thought we lived in Canada full time, which meant I should be sending them more money. Why magazines and lots of other things cost more in Canada I do not know. It makes no sense to me. But for almost a year, I was not able to read full articles on my iPad. I could read excerpts and I could read 8 articles a month, but even though I was a subscriber I was unable to down load the full article. I thought it was all cleared up six months ago, but nothing happened. In order to deal with a subscription department you require two qualities, which are time and patience. Last week I had both, so I screwed up my courage and phoned. E mailing was impossible. Now everything works as it should, but it took an hour. The magazine is excellent and controversial and I missed reading the full texts of the articles. One aspect of the periodical leaves me cold. Every month, Joseph Epstein tells a Jewish joke. Readers respond and send comments telling why the joke is funny. But I never think the jokes are funny at all and I can not figure out why Joseph thinks they are funny. I just don't get it, I suppose because I am not Jewish. Who would have thought there is such a difference.

No comments: