Tuesday, September 15, 2015

September 15, 2015. Harper, Texas. Living in Texas.

When my Mother visited us in Galveston, she never quite got over waiting for the tap water to turn cold.  I would laugh and ask her her to use ice.  "The tap will never turn to cold" I would say.    When we returned to Texas from Nova Scotia in September this year, I caught myself waiting for the water to get cold before I would take a drink, when I realized I was acting just like my Mother.    Our water in Western Head are on wells, so the water quickly turns cold.  That is one difference in living in Texas.  You use a lot of ice.

A nice lady held the door open for me at the eye doctor on Monday.  She was old, and little and well dressed.  And of course she was friendly.  I thanked her for helping me with the door and I commented on the weather, saying that it was a beautiful day.  She looked at me oddly and said "But don't you think it is a bit chilly".   I quickly agreed that it was true but the day was pleasant.  The temperature was 70 degrees.  And that is another difference living in Texas...the heat.  When you have spent the summer at 100 degrees, I guess 70 does feel a bit chilly.

Our life at the ranch is quiet.  And the weather is beautiful, especially in late afternoon.  Restaurants are cheap as are groceries.  And the view from our Top House goes on for ever.  But we have no Atlantic Ocean to watch.  But we still love living in Texas.  The people are friendly and hard working.  But there are differences!!

No comments: