Friday, September 4, 2015

September 4, 2015. Western Head, N.S. Pedicure.

A pedicure is not only a pedicure, at least not in Nova Scotia.  It is also a conversation with a nice young lady,  along with a wonderful foot and leg massage.   April Williams is the daughter of our builder George.  She owns a hair salon.   She cuts my hair, at least she used to cut my hair in the years when I had hair.  Last summer she took on Carla, who does manicures,  pedicures and massages.   In fact, that part of her business has become so popular that April built an addition to the salon.  Over the years, it has been fun watching April's success.

This summer, Carla has accommodated me be having me come for a pedicure at the end of the day, thus making it easier for me to stay away from people who might have colds or other infections.  I had a pedicure when we first arrived and booked another just before we were to leave.  This afternoon at 5:15 was my time and date.   Carla is a single lady who moved here from Alberta two hers ago.  She wanted to live close to the sea but she fell in love with a lovely Victorian house in town and bought it, just like that.   The real estate market was still good in Alberta so she went home,  sold her house and moved to Liverpool.

One of our conversations had to do with company.  She has a lot of friends and relatives who come to visit.  Her home is beautiful and the town is charming so everyone wants to visit.  She enjoys the company.  I asker her if she ever had difficult house guests.  She said only one, who was negative about everything, including the size of the house, which was too big for a single lady while the town was too small.   She said that in all the years that she has had house guests, there were only two who she would never invite again.  Pretty good ratio.  The other thing she does is to fuss over her guests, making a cooked breakfast each morning they are there.    I never fuss so perhaps my guests are silent with their complaints.   On the other hand, I am probably twice her age and have had only one guest who was difficult.

Interesting conversation today with Carla.  We talked about boundaries too.  I must wait until next year to continue.

No comments: