Tuesday, August 16, 2016

August 16, 2016. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Our Pond.

Our pond is small but it is a great source of pleasure.  This morning I went out to feed the fish.  I had been neglecting them.  When Mary Frances was here, she fed them every day so trained them to come to the surface immediately when she droppped the fish food in the water.   We liked to watch them come and gobble up the food.   Since she left, I have forgetting the fish.   A couple of weeks ago when Gill's granddaughter was here, we went out to let Sierra feed the fish, but the fish did not come to eat because I did not continue the training.  Sierra never did get to see the fish.

Today, after a few minutes, the fish came up to eat so I could see them.   But what I saw a lot of were frogs.  When I first went out, I heard splashing.  I could not see any fish so assumed frogs had jumped into the water when I appeared.   I heard the frogs but did not see them.  They are quicker than my eyes.  After feeding the fish, I moved the pond furniture.  That was when I both saw and heard lots of frogs, all jumping into the water to get away from me.   I must have heard or seen 15 splashes into the water.  

After sitting beside the pond admiring the lilies and the fish, I saw a big frog climb out of the water.  He was not more than a foot away from me.  He clambered onto a rock and looked at me long and hard.  I stayed still.  After looking at me for ages, he must have decided that I was a piece of furniture so he clambered under a bush and disappeared.  Although he was right beside me, I was never able to see him again.  Those frogs can hide in plain view and we never see them until they move.  Clever creatures, all living cheerfully around our charming little pond.  As we clearly have more frogs than fish I guess we should call it our frog pond!!.  Whatever the name, the pond brings me great pleasure.

No comments: