Friday, August 5, 2016

August 5, 2016. Western Head, Nova Scotia. The Wind.

Today I could barely get out of my doors, the wind was so strong.    The doors to the deck I could not get out at all  because I was not strong enough to push open the doors.  The only way I could get out of the house was either through the big garage doors or the door by the pond.  For weeks the sea has been calm and the wind was slight but last evening the wind began to blow.  Today the wind was even stronger.

Two nights ago I called Mary and Walt to join us on the deck because the evening was beautiful, with just a light breeze to keep away the bugs with the sun keeping us warm.  The difference from tonight was dramatic.  I could barely walk along the deck, let along sit and watch for whales.   We forget from time to time that every so often, the wind blows very hard.  The trash cans must all be fixed under the stairs with their lids firmly attached or both cans and lids will go sailing.  This is the first really strong  winds we have felt this summer.  From inside the house the sea looks beautiful with whitecaps as far as you can see.  But I am happy to be on dry land and inside the house.  That wind today feels like you could get blown over.  I bet we see some rollers tomorrow with the surfers soon to follow.  Even with the windows closed we can hear the sea which is pretty nice.  Strong winds bring it's own reward.

No comments: