Monday, August 22, 2016

August 22, 2016. Pleasant field, Nova Scoria. Ancestors.

Ken has been spending lots of time and energy investigating his ancestors on the Internet.   Every so often, he spends time digging into hs family tree.    He sets it aside but eventually gets back to the digging.   So far he has gotten back to the 16th century.   It is great fun.   When we married, he told me that both his parents families came from Sxotland and Ireland but it turns out that they are a hodgepodge.   He has ancestors from England and Holland in addition to Scotland and Ireland.    And his ancestors arrived in North America very early.

Hs 4th grandfather was a ships captain who lived in Casteen, Maine.   Another was a draft dodger, avoiding the Civil War by living in Ontario.   It is fascinating stuff.

Ken has been also looking up my family, but the Buxkleys and Houghtons are difficult became they arrived in Canada in the early 20rh Century.    The web sites for England are not as good.   He has looked for Bowlers and Swallows but we can not determine what family is mine.   I know my grandfathers name was Walter Houghton but I do not know his middle name.    My Granmother Houghton was a Bowler but I do not even know my great grandmothers first name, let alone her maiden name.   I need my Mother or my Aunt Miriam to straighten me out.

But we are having a great time here at the cottage all by ourselves.   Except Ken keeps giving me interesting tidbits from his family tree so we are really visiting with all those folks that have gone before us.   Great sport.

No comments: