Wednesday, June 13, 2018

June 13, 2018. Madison, Mississippi. Another Procedure.

Needling is what it is called, which sounds terrible. But actually, wha happens is that tiny needles are used to open up the scar tissue in the holes in your eyes. The little bitty shunt that was installed in Texas is not draining properly so these needles opened up the drain. Now the pressure in my right eye is 6 while before the procedure it was 20. My eye surgeon, Dr. K. has been worrying along my right eye. The pressures in my left eye remain at an acceptable 10 but my right eye continues to creep up. First he put me back on a glaucoma drop. Then in April he added another. The pressure was 18. I have advanced glaucoma and have already lost all side vision so he is anxious when the pressure goes up. When I saw him last week he suggested a consultation with another doctor, so today I met with Dr. O, also a surgeon who specializes in glaucoma. She is also an expert in needling. One option was to add more drops, but as she correctly said today, we have tried it and it is not working. The second option would be to perform another bout of eye surgery, which I really did not want to do right now. She and Iwe decided to try these needling procedure. It was all done in the office. The nurses prepare my eye and the doctor performs the operation. Immediately you learn if it is working. The procedure does not hurt but is uncomfortable. I was happy when it was finished. Immediately my pressures in my right eye was 6, so the tiny shunt is open and working. Now I must use two drops four times a day and then return in a week. One drop is an antibiotic and the other is a steroid. No more glaucoma drops. Dr. K. will be pleased. And I hope my pressures stay down. I am looking for more magic.

No comments: