Saturday, June 16, 2018

June 16, 2018. Madison, Mississippi. Misunderstood Words.

Years ago, for five minutes, I had a conversation with a friend concerning gifts for children and nieces and nephews. We were discussing CD's. We discussed the pros and cons of giving a gift of a CD. Our responses seemed reasonable and helpful. Eventually, I discovered that we were discussing two different objects. She meant CD music and I money. We both laughed...eventually. Ten years ago, in the Spring after we bought the cottage, we asked the former owners to come and see us and give us information, which they did. I asked about the temperature of the water. I asked about the comfort level of the water. I wanted it to be warm. She told me cheerfully that the water was beatifically cool, which was not what I wanted to hear. She waxed eloquently about the water getting cooled on the other side of the lake so our side was perfect, and cool. I asked them for the temperature of the water, but clearly they had never measured it. After several questions on my part, I gave up. It finally dawned on me that the previous owners wanted the water cool while I wanted it warm. And she kept assuring me that I would love the water, because it was cool and fresh. She misunderstood my question. But she was correct. The lake water was fresh and comfortable. Just a few minutes ago, while I was walking with my neighbor Sandy, we walked past the little pool close to our house. I asked if the water was warm. She assured me in no uncertain terms that certainly the water was not warm, but beautifully cool. This time I caught her meaning immediately. When you live in the South where the weather is hot, when you get into the swimming pool you want the pool to cool you down. I of course, am still thinking I want warm water to get into, not the 65 I grew up with. This afternoon, when I entered the pool water, I was delighted to find that the water cooled me down. My neighbor was correct.

No comments: