Friday, June 29, 2018

June 29, 2018. Madison, Mississippi. Evaluation.

Ken and I are discussing and evaluating what we need in a helper when in Nova Scotia. And I have asked our day time helper for assistance. We have had no difficulty without the night time helpers, which is good. Now that Ken is more independent, we are trying to figure out what is essential. So we are testing. On July 4th, we are having no daytime helper. And on Saturday the 7th and 14th we are doing without a helper. During the daytime now, Ken does not need much help but the question is what is essential for him. Ken had Kendria walk infant of him coming downstairs today. And she helped him with his exercises, standing beside him while he does some exercise without holding on...The helper prepares his breakfast but Ken says he could do it himself. So we are trying to figure things out. I am not foolish enough to think we need no helpers in Nova Scotia. I am just evaluating how many hours a day and how many days a week. One of the issues of aging is the changes. By brother calls it "the new normal". Health situations are altered and all off a sudden you must alter behavior. I was not expecting these changes and we both work hard to maintain function. Kendria offered to help with chores such as folding clothes and unloading the dishwasher but I told her that at the moment, those chores are my job and I must get them done myself. I will rest if necessary after the chores are done. So our process of evaluating our competence is ongoing, not just when thinking of Nova Scotia. I am meeting with the lady the day after we arrive in Nova Scotia so I want to be sure that Ken can function the day we arrive and for the day after. We are having a test case. July 4th is day one of no helper. This remains to be seen the success.

No comments: