Thursday, August 1, 2019

August 1, 2019. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Lunch at the Riverbank.

The Riverbank Cafe is run by Penny Lane, the day care center for challenged young people and adults. The challenges are both physical and or mental. Many of their people work at the Riverbank, performing tasks up the level of their competence. So it is a special place. It is also the place that catered for us for the past three years, but not this year where they are having problems with staff. Penny Lane took over the little grocery store and turned it into a restaurant. The location is perfect, sitting right beside the river. After the place was cleaned up and painted, it was open for Sunday brunch. Then breakfast and lunch was added. Now in order to get a table you must go early or late. I asked my friend Karen out for lunch on Tuesday. I knew Ruth R. was leaving early, which makes the house too quiet. She suggested the Riverbank because she knew I had not been there this summer. I was delighted to see the cute little place again. I was especially delighted with the menu which had a lot of variation. I could have chosen three or four items but finally settled on a wrap, which was delicious. Along with a cup of soup my dinner was complete. Native Nova Scotians always eat dinner at noon even if they are eating a sandwich. If you are a person from away, you eat lunch. When the Riverbank first opened, their gift shop was charming with delightful objects that were not expensive. But no more. I do not know who is in charge of the gift shop but they should be replaced. There was nothing to buy. But the restaurant was a hit. I will go again.

No comments: