Saturday, August 24, 2019

August 24, 2019. Western Head, Nova Scotia. The Art Show.

Every year the good folks in Port Medway put on an art and craft show in August. The artists and craftsmen sell their objects, 25% going to the community for improvements in the little town. We have been going to these shows for many years and have noted an increase in the quality of the work. The work is impressive although Gill commented that there is a good reason why some paintings sell for $100. while others are selling for $2,000. Anna and I toured the show on Friday. I was especially keen to see the show because Cathy Mourre had three pieces of her rug hooking in the show. Cathy does beautiful work but you never see her efforts except when you visit her house. Up until now, she neither shows or sells her work. Now I am a proud owner of one of Cathy's hand hooked small wall hangings. Of course, I am having trouble finding where to hang it. But I am delighted to have Simon, the shore bird. Over the years the show has raised enough money to renovate the old century which had been overlooked over the years. They renovated and moved the Port Medway light house. And they restore an old building that now is used as part of the art show. With matching funds from the province, the rock was was installed and the dock repaired. All this happened because a few folks in Port Medway had an idea and got busy. Anna and I walked around the light house, then up the road to the Port Grocer for lunch. My walking was done at Port Medway. I did buy a pair of hand knit slippers and a calendar but resisted the lovely wooden bowls. Anna and I enjoyed seeing all the art and crafts on display, all at this little community. Impressive.

No comments: