Thursday, August 19, 2021

August 19, 2021. Western Head, Nova Scotia. The Blue Chair.

The chair in the living room is a fancy recliner. It operated with electricity and even helps to bump you up to stand. We bought it in 2018, the year Ken was ill. Mary and Walt helped and we bought it before we arrived so Ken would be able to function in the living room. We ordered it from the town pharmacy and was delivered the day before we arrived. We positioned the chair so Ken would be looking out the big window overlooking the ocean. With tables on both sides, he was a happy camper. And we called it Ken's chair, which no one ever used. This is my third summer in Nova Scotia without Ken. The first summer alone, I moved the chair and unplugged the cord. People used the chair just as a comfortable chair in the living room. For myself, I never sat in that chair. It belonged to Ken. But two weeks ago, my helper Anna plugged in the cord because she wanted to put her feet up and she knew it reclined. I either put my feet up on the couch or went upstairs. But Anna forgot to unplug the cord so the next day, instead of using the couch I decided to try the big blue chair belonging to Ken. I recalled that Ken always used the chair to take a rest so I figured it would be comfortable. I have been using the chair every afternoon when I rest my legs. It is comfy and puts me almost flat. It is a great chair which I now keep plugged in all the time. Wendy often used it to put up her legs too. Now I am going to call it my chair because I use it every afternoon. With my thick wool blanket to keep me warm, I am happy as a clam. It just took me two and a half years to fgure out that the chair could be Ruth's chair too.

No comments: