Monday, August 30, 2021

August 30, 2021. Western Head, Nova Scotia. The Golf Playoff.

If you were not watching the BMW golf tournament on Sunday you missed a teat. I turned on the TV when I was drinking my orange drink, with four holes to go. Patrick and Bryson were in the last pairing and they were locked in battle to win. One point separated them. The play was rivitting and as exciting as a golf tournament could ever become. I was glued to the TV. The first thing I noticed was the difference in the style of the two players. Patrick just stayed to his game and just plodded down the fairway with not a scrap of emothion. Bryson hit long drives and was excitable. He could have won the game in regulation but he missed a 6 foot putt. So they went into overtime holes. It took six holes to decide the winner. Patrick with his steady not fancy play kept dropping incredible putts while Bryson continued the long drives...and then missing his putts. Finally, on the sixth playoff hole, Patrick dropped his putt which meant that Bryson needed to sink his six foot putt to continue to yet another playoff hole. But Bryson missed the short putt once again and Patrick won the tournament. Finally, it was over. Bryson must have been devastated. Several times he was in the position to win the tournament but always missed the putt. He refused to meet with the press after the match which did not speak well for him. I was rooting for Patrick all along. I know nothing about him but I liked his steady demeanor. He was certainly a good golfer but was never a star. But after that tournament and the multiple playoff holes and beating one of the biggest stars in the golf game, Patrick is now a star. And I enjoyed watching him become that star. I loved every minute.

No comments: