Monday, August 2, 2021

August 2, 2021. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Tedious Tasks.

Everyone is required to complete these boring tasks, the ones that must be repeated over and over again. My solution to keeping cheerful when completing those tasks is to make a game out of the job. Today was a perfect example. In 2000, I was prescribed two medications. The Neurologist in Texas said to me, "Ruth, get used to taking those pills because you will take them for the rest of your life". So far he was correct. Every five weeks I assemble my medications into weekly pill containers. Over the years I have had a couple of extras added to my list. I have a box for the morning and a box for the evening and I make them up every five weeks. It is a boring task but important. The only difficult part of the task is when I must split one pill in two which is not so easy to do, even with a splitter. The rest is tedious, just putting one pill at a time in each section of the week, then checking to be sure each section has the correct number of pills. My game is to dump enough pills into my hand to fill the five weeks of each week. I get great glee when I come up empty handed when filling the last section. It makes no sense at all but I play a game with myself every time I fill those little boxes. Sometimes I put three of the weekly boxes in front of me, just to see if I can dump 21 pills into my hand to fill the three boxes.. When I win, I chuckle. Today was the day to fill my 5 weeks of pill boxes. And I must say that I did not win the game. But it kept me amused and the task was finished before I had to think about that boring job. So I won after all.

No comments: