Tuesday, August 3, 2021

August 3, 2021. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Bruce Smith.

Bruce lives up the hiil and across the street from Gill on Sand Beach Road. I fist met him many years ago at a craft sale in Beach Meadows. The show was large and crowded and for some reason I was not in a buying mood. I met Bruce and chatted with him. And I admired his carvings. When we got back to the car, Rita showed us the wonderful carvings she bought and I wished I had also purchased the lovely birds. When I got home, I called Gill about the show and suggested that she and Mary should make the drive to the craft show. And I mentioned that Rita had purchased birds from a carver, Bruce Smith, and that I was sorry I did not buy anything. Then Gill told me that Bruce lived across the street from her and if I wanted to buy his stuff she felt sure he would bring his work over to my house. He has been bringing his work over to my house ever since. Today I got my own showing of his recent work. He was a management consultant in his past life. He travelled all over the world working as a consultant. But when he was not working as a consultant, he would carve. Now that he is retired and no longer travelling, he carves. Unfortunately his hands are letting him down. Mostly he carves kitchen utensils, such as spoons and stirrers, which he shows at the Saturday Market in town. But his work is still lovely and I always enjoy seeing beautiful hand made objets. Anna liked them too. Now I have a heads up with my Christmas gifts, thanks to Bruce.

No comments: