Sunday, June 20, 2010

June 20, 2010. Jackson, Miss. International Ballet Competition.

I did not know such an event existed, but tonight Kate, Mary Frances, Christina and I attended Round II, Session III of the USA International Ballet Competition, held every four years in Jackson. In four years I intend to come and get tickets for every session. The dancers were wonderful, all trying to obtain scholarships or contracts or funding, looking to make their living dancing. I know little about the organization and don't even know the difference between the Junior and Senior categories but we knew it was being held June 12-27 so decided to attend at least one session. Andrew volunteered to stay with Molly so Ken kept him company. Truth be told, neither men enjoy ballet as much as I do so tonight just the ladies of the family attended the ballet competition.

The dancing was fabulous. Most solo performances along with three Pas de Deux, with the dancers coming from places far and near around the world. The next and final round of the competition begins on Tuesday with the Awards Gala on Saturday and an Encore Gala on Sunday night. I would love to attend every session but this will not happen. But the most amazing thing is that this very high quality event is being held in Jackson and has done so every four years since 1982. The world is full of wonderful events that in my ignorance I know nothing about. Now I know about this event and will certainly try to be there in 2014. I lived every minute of the competition tonight.i

No comments: