Tuesday, June 29, 2010

June 29,2010. Jackson, Miss. The weather.

Almost every afternoon the wind starts blowing, followed very soon by the rain. The rest of the day was beautiful with bright blue skies and big fluffy clouds drifting by. You forget although by now I should be used to it. Yesterday afternoon after our daily excursions were over I decided to swim but by the time I put my bathing suit on and puttered around having a drink, the winds were blowing and sky was getting dark so I turned around and came home. It is not a good idea to swim in a thunder storm.

Mississippi on average has fifty two inches of rain every year. I have never lived with that much rain so this regular rain is unusual for me. The rain comes down very hard here too, very like Texas. The good thing is that the rain stops, then you can go on with your life, but trying to drive in this rain is very difficult and walking is impossible. September, October and November are the months with the least amount of rain but this year everyone says have been very dry so the rains are welcomed. I noted to Ken while waiting for the dance performance to begin that a lady came in carrying an umbrella. We thought that she was just planning ahead but it turned out that the rain had come after we had arrived to the building. We were just lucky, once again.

Today I got smart and took a swim in the morning.

No comments: