Thursday, June 3, 2010

June 3, 2010. Western Head, N.S. The True Story.

My Grandmother told my sister this story when Carol was young, but she clearly recalls the story as it was such a remarkable event. My Grandfather, Walter Houghton was in London on business and walked by a street meeting being led by William Booth, the founder of the Salvation Army. William Booth invited those listening to accompany him into the 'barracks' for another meeting. Walter was so impressed by William Booth that he did and during the service went forward to the alter and pledged his life to the service of the Lord. He went home and told his wife, my grandmother, and the next evening they returned to another service where Pollie also gave her life in service to God and The Salvation Army. Kneeling at 'The Mercy Seat' my grandmother used a pair of scissors to cut off the feathers from her hat and she removed her pierced earrings as The Salvation Army used no jewelry or adornments. And that was the beginning of the connection between the Houghton Family and The Salvation Army.

The rest of the Houghton Family were not pleased but that commitment stayed with Grandma and Grampa their whole life. It must have been after their marriage in August 1894 because by 1897 my Grandfather was the Treasurer of the Halloway corps as he was in 1901 at Haselmere Corps in Surrey. At some point my Grandfather applied to become an officer of The Salvation Army but the powers that be in the organization suggested that with my grandfathers background and position, the life of an officer would be too difficult for him so he was turned down. Eventually when all his children were on their own he shed his business in Victoria and became an Envoy, teaching and preaching in Northern British Columbia all with The Salvation Army. Two children became Officers in the organization which must have pleased him.

My sister thinks that my grandmother told her the story because several friends from school were having their ears pierced and Grandmother certainly did not want any grandchild of hers wearing jewelry!! I wonder what she would think of us now?

No comments: