Sunday, June 27, 2010

June 27, 2010. Jackson, Miss. Square Books.

Oxford has the most wonderful book store, right on the main square. I had read about the store when researching Oxford and I had hoped to visit the store Saturday afternoon, but the storm made all plan go away. Sunday morning when we were walking the lovely square we discovered much to our delight that the store was open. The young man in charge mentioned to me that they were the only business open at nine-fifteen on Sunday morning. I was especially pleased because I have had difficulty purchasing history books about Mississippi and I knew they would be able to solve my problem. My knowledge of Mississippi history is sketchy but I intend to educate myself. Now I have purchased nine books I will soon become informed. Soon I will bore everyone to death with my facts and information.

Downtown Oxford was nothing like I expected it to be. It was more like a miniature New Orleans but all cleaned up. Early in the morning is the best time to walk downtown for several reasons. The temperature was a pleasant seventy five degrees. By noon it will be ninety-five. And the best part is that the store are not open so I not able to do any shopping. This is a great blessing to me.

We drove back to Jackson on Highway 51, the old road prior to Interstate 55. It was a lovely old road, well paved but with no traffic as it parallels the Interatate just five miles over so most folks drive on the big highway. But not us. We like the roads less travelled.

No comments: