Wednesday, June 30, 2010

June 30, 2010. Chevy Chase, Md. Swimming.

One of the best things about living in the south is getting into the swimming pool. The water is never cold. For most of my life I have had to gird on my armor and convince myself to get into that cold water so I could swim. After a few minutes of swimming the water seems no longer frigid but those first few minutes always made me shiver. But not in the south.

I still remember taking the boys to the Jack Tar pool in Galveston. Entering the water was like going to heaven especially after all the lakes and pools I had swam in that always seem frigid at first. The pools in Mississippi were perfect. The water cools you but never feels cold. Even Ken enjoyed getting into the pool.

Soon I will be swimming in Ponhook Lake in Nova Scotia. The setting is lovely and the water is clear and clean but getting into that water requires an act of faith, faith that very soon I will enjoy this water, but I will recall with pleasure getting into the pools in the south.

No comments: