Monday, February 16, 2015

February 16, 2015. Nuevo Vallarta, Mex. Danny Kaye.

My friend Kitty sent me a You Tube video called How Jazz Was Born, by Danny Kaye. I spent the following two hours watching and listening to Danny Kaye videos. He was so clever. But I had forgotten all about him. Tomorrow I will look up his bio but today I just relished his talents. And such talents he had. He could sing and dance as well as being a comedian. And he knew and loved opera. I watched him at the Metropolitan Opera. He entranced a full house of young people as he explained to them all about opera. He sang opera along with the many opera singers. It was fun and funny with wonderful music as well. And I saw Danny Kaye dance with Gene Kelly and sing with Louie Armstrong. In fact the two of them sang a whole song in scat together. It was such fun. Another video was 15 minutes with Danny Kaye, showing segments from his TV show. I know almost nothing about Danny Kaye, except he was born and raised in Brooklyn, as was Beverley Sills. I know that because he mentioned it when he introduced Beverley to the audience at the Met. The show was filmed in 1975 so she was young. We also saw the tenor from Spain with a full head of hair. I wonder if we have the same talent on the entertainment scene today? Danny Kaye was a very multi talented individual and I am appreciative that Kitty sent him along to me. I had a delightful time this afternoon with Danny Kaye.

No comments: