Thursday, February 5, 2015

February 4, 2015. Nuevo Vallarta, Mex. Treatment Day.

The medicine is working. My fluid will not drain off my chest. We thought that the catheter was stuck, but this morning at the Oncologists office she listened to my chest and agreed that I have fluid in my chest, but she wanted me to have an X-ray before doing anything. Doreen and I took a taxi to a walk in Radiology clinic and within an hour, we returned with the X-ray plates in hand. The place was busy but efficient with lots of doctors, technicians and nurses on hand to help. I could not have done the drill without Doreen. Her Spanish skills were invaluable along with her moral support. The Oncologist read the X-ray to discover that the fluid in my chest is now below the level of the catheter. Clearly, according to her, the chemotherapy is killing the fluid in my chest. This is a good thing indeed. In addition, while my treatment was being done, the nurse sent my blood to the lab for testing. The labs here call in reports in hours. It turns our that I am very anemic, which is why I look like a walking ghost. I am also weak and need of a rest morning and afternoon. My shortness of breath is due to the anemia, not the fluid on my chest. Tomorrow, I will have a blood transfusion. I should feel better immediately although the first week of treatment is always difficult. Treatment number three is now over and we have made progress.

No comments: