Friday, April 10, 2015

April 10, 2015. Madison, Ms. Changes.

We know the treatments did it's job so we are grateful. But we are all delighted to be moving on to something else. This morning I had an appointment with Dr. Sheehan, my Oncologist. Immediately after, I was to take an infusion. Except my blood work will not allow another treatment. My platelets are too low and my red blood cells are too, so instead of a treatment, I had another blood transfusion. Before the transfusion, we three discussed my options going forward and we decided on a hormonal type therapy plus one that was just approved a few weeks ago. Wendy was with me, and as she works with Phizer, so was able to ask all the right questions. But we will begin this new oral therapy next Friday. There are different side effects from the new therapy but we hope the old ones will fade away. Dr. Sheehan wants me to get as much exercise as I am comfortably handle without getting tired. I definitely need to gain leg strength and I hope the balance will return too. The problem with a new therapy is that you get a return of what you had before. We do not want more pleural effusion so I must be monitored carefully. In a worst case, I must return to the IV treatments that were so debilitating to my body. But for now, we are ready for the next step. And we will celebrate tonight with the 7 of us when we dine on Japanese food sitting around our new dining table. I am delighted to be celebrating!!

1 comment:

Mostly Mosaics by Martha said...

You are always so positive! Wish we could be with you and your Japanese food and friends!
Interesting - Dale and I are thinking about a new dining room table also! Found the perfect one on-line - $4500! No chairs! We went to an estate sale today - found one that would be OK -- but will call tomorrow. Today was price was set! Tomorrow - make an offer! Think about you so often. How is Ken? Are you thinking about Nova Scotia? We need to get the rocking horse that is like a rooster up to Gill.
Love you!