Monday, June 1, 2015

June 1, 2015. Harper, Texas. My Hair.

Once upon a time I had hair. My hair was always easy to look after so I was happy with my hair. After the first IV treatment for my breast cancer, my hair fell out in big clumps. I just laughed because I knew the medicine was working on my body. My decision was to wear a hat rather than get a wig. Fortunately, Ian brought me two scrub hats and I have been wearing them ever since. I look odd but don't care. I had been told by others that when my hair does come back in, my new hair will be different. I had observed it in other folks over the years. For some reason, when my hair fell out, I was left with wispy strands of hair over my whole head. Again most people would have just shaved these wispy hair off but not me. I wanted to see what will happen to that bit of hair. Also, my eye brows did not fall out, which the Oncologist said is unusual. I had assumed that when I stopped the very caustic IV treatments my hair would begin to grow, but I read the side effects for the IBRANCE and it too has hair loss, so nothing happened. I did not use Ibrance for 13 days and during that time, a fuzz grew on my head. Ken first noticed it. Now that I am back on the medicine, I thought the fuzz would disappear but the fuzz is still there. Now about one quarter inch, the fuzz is also dark in color. I might have black hair. When you are a lady of a certain age, stray hairs pop out on your chin. I just shave them off. But I was interested to know that when my hair fell out, the stray hairs on my chin stopped growing and disappeared. Now they are back. Like everything else in life, when you solve one problem you get another to take it's place. The wispy hair has gone away too. The truth of the matter is that I am not really in charge of my hair. I will watch with interest to whatever happens to my head. But I bet I will look odd with dark hair!!

No comments: