Friday, June 5, 2015

June 5, 2015. Harper, Texas. Cameras.

There is no better camera than the camera in my mind. Scenes we saw years ago are as clear and vivid as today. My friends are visiting Jackson, Wyoming, a charming town nestled in the mountains, right next to Idaho and a couple of hours south of Yellowstone. We had only visited in the winter to ski but we were there several times. The Teton Mountains are magnificent. Perhaps one of the reasons the mountains are so vivid in my mind is that we bought a photograph of the mountains the first time we were there, which has hung at the farm ever since. Now it is on the walls of our new home in Mississippi. Ken and I have been fortunate with our travel. We did not leave traveling until we retired. We always travelled. And we were fortunate that we had summers off work. At that time, medical students only went to school in the winter and I was teaching, so we took jobs in some part of the country and traveled there and back. I still see, in my mind's eye, the highways in Arizona, with irrigation on one side with lush crops, and no irrigation of the opposite side with no water, so there was the desert. And the sign said "Arizona grows when water flows". That was 1961. I have no idea how the brain does it but at the blink of an eye, the scenes we observed many years ago just pop back and bring great pleasure. Right now, I am enjoying the pictures in my mind from our visits to Jackson, all triggered by my friends visit. They are loving it although I understand Jackson has grown and gotten trendy and fashionable. The setting is still gorgeous. They will enjoy and I will enjoy along with them.

No comments: