Saturday, June 6, 2015

June 6, 2015. Harper, Texas. The Triple Crown.

I know nothing about horse racing. I have only been to two horse races in my life. But every year I get interested in The Triple Crown. Today was lots of fun, watching the Triple Crown be won for the first time in 37 years. The same wonderful horse won all three races when the Belmont was won by this same misspelled horse, American Pharoah. Ken and I took in all the information from the commentators so by the end of the race we were experts, but only for an hour. The horses are beautiful to watch but we do not gamble and have no interest in horse racing but we loved watching The Belmont Stakes race today. And what a race it was, the winner starting out front and staying there until the end, just like in the Preakness. Perhaps it is the marketing departments that catch my attention but I don't think so. Records are interesting to me. During my life time, breaking the four minute mile took a long time but once it had been broken, runners beat it time after time within just a few weeks. Same runners but the barrier had been broken in their mind. With The Triple Crown winners, in the 70's it seemed simple, when three horses won. As time passed and no horses were winning, those of us who don't know much about horse racing got interested. Finally, today was the day. Now I wonder if over the next ten years, more horses will win The Triple Crown? Time will tell. And Tampa Bay won the Stanley Cup playoff game tonight so now Chicago is tied with one win each. That too was an exciting, highly skilled game. Great fun in sports today for me.

No comments: