Wednesday, July 11, 2018

July 11, 2018. Madison, Mississippi. Pleasure.

On days when the weather is hot and sultry, which means is not fit to walk, I go to the swimming pool and do my exercises in the deep water. But when it appears that a storm is coming and I am not able to swim, I stay home and walk inside. I walk around the interior of the whole house. You would think it would be boring, but as I walk I look at objects acquired over the years and I smile. By the back door I walk on our first Persian rug, purchased when we lived in our first home on Lancaster Drive. Then I walk through the kitchen past the stove. I have utensils in a hand made piece of pottery, given to us by Dave and Irene. And I smile at the hand painted tray, given to me by Miss Tomlinson. No one but me who sees that try knows anything about Miss. Tomlinson. But I know. And it pleases me. On the walls I recall each purchase of each piece of art. In our early days of travel when we had few funds, we brought back small water colors, so we have numerous pieces which reminds me of each lovely place in the world we had visited. And I enjoy the fact that Mary Frances hung all those small gems of work. And the whole arrangement pleases me. Of course, when I walk by the windows to the reservoir I stop to marvel at the beauty. Over the bookcase I see a picture of Grandma Houghton, taken when she was a small child. Over my desk sits a picture of the twins as babies and glow with gratitude in having twin granddaughters. Every object in our home has a story, mostly known by only me. No one is interested except me. But when I take my walk inside my house, every item brings me great pleasure and I am never bored.

No comments: