Tuesday, July 24, 2018

July 24, 2018. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Earth Angels.

My friend Mary MacD. gave me their number. I knew we needed helpers for Ken in Nova Scotia so I asked Mary for help. She called the VON who in turn referred Earth Angels. I called them both. The VON provides only nursing help but Earth Angels can provide both help at home ands also medical assistance. I spoke with the lady in charge in Bridgewater and arranged a meeting the day after our arrival. We agreed to having a helper 5 days a week, from 9 to 5. The worker will assist us in doing anything we need during the hours she will be working with us. She will help us both and assist with the running of the house. Our helper was to begin Monday. Wow. Our helper, Katey is a dream come true. No sitting by our Katey. So far she helped me arrange the furniture, worked with Ken with his exercises morning and afternoon, driven me on errands, set the table both days for our dinner, walked with Ken at the sports facility in town where there is a walking track, unloaded the dishwasher, reminded Ken of his medications and generally helped us to do anything we need. She is a dream come true and just what we needed in Nova Scotia. Ken is independent but he often gets stuck putting on and off clothes. When we are alone, I am the only one who can help so I end up going up and down stairs frequently. As we had been alone since Thursday, by Monday I was weary. I was ready for Katey to help. She is pleasant and enthusiastic and encouraging to Ken. In other words, she is an angel to us in our world in Nova Scotia. What can be better?

No comments: