Sunday, September 16, 2018

September 16, 2018. Western Head, Nova Scotia. The Match.

Andy left me the book. He had finished it and was not taking it home so he left it for me. He thought I would enjoy the read. And I did. The match was played at Pebble Beach, California in 1956, between two professionals and two amateurs. It by itself would have been of little interest except the times for golf were changing. The author, Mark Frost gives a short history of golf. At that time, the attitude was changing between the two groups. The golf world has changed dramatically so I enjoyed filling in my lack of the history of golf. At that time, the Olympic ideal of gentlemen sports was being being debated, which included the world of golf. In that match were Ben Hogan and Byron Nelson for the professionals and Ken Venturi and Harvie Ward for the amateurs. Each player has a chapter or two, so as the reader, I get to know the players. The match is descriobed, hole by hole, which is riveting. But I enjoyed the history and the evolution of golf the best. Golf has changed so much since that time but it is interesting to read of the beginnings of the golf professional. Bob Jones was an amateur. Ben Hogan and Byron Nelson were early professionals. They barely made a living. But along came Arnold Palmer. The writing is flowery and overblown but I was pleased to read this book. Thanks to Andy for leaving "The Match" for me to read. He was correct. I did enjoy it.

No comments: