Friday, September 28, 2018

September 28, 2018. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Elora Mill, Hotel and Spa.

The Elora Mill, Hotel and Spa has a spectacular setting right on a gorge of the Grand River and just down from the water falls. Ken and I stayed there years ago. The setting was the same but for the past 18 months the place has been revamped and expanded. It is beautiful. They have retained the exterior stone so from the outside the hotel looks the same, except bigger. But inside is all new and fancy. I enjoyed staying there. The public dining areas overlooking the falls are wonderful. The staff were unfailingly pleasant, enthusiastic and friendly. I was impressed with their attitude. But from the time I entered my large room I felt like I had become like Adrea. A pleasant young man accompanied me to my room. The room temperature was cold so I asked him to check the thermostat, which he did. He assured me my room would get warm. When I returned to my room after Dave and Irene's dinner, my room was still too cold so I put on my reading glasses and changed the thermostat myself. Nothing happened so I called the front desk. An engineer came to check and promised me he would return but he never did. I stayed warm only under the duvet. Mr room never got warmer than 70. After I changed into my nightshirt, I wanted to watch college football on TV, but the remote control would now work. The young lady came immediately and brought another remote. While she was standing beside the TV, the remote worked but as soon as she left and I sat down, the remote failed again so she brought me another, which also would not work. I turned it off and went to bed. The next morning, the engineer came to change the little box on the TV. That night after I returned , the TV worked perfectly. Bu the next morning I had no signal at all. I gave up. No more calls to the front desk for me. The first morning I was in my room I tried to make coffee but the maker was set on a counter that has a shelf right over it so the handle will not open. In order to open the machine to install the pod, I was required to hold the heavy machine half off the counter, so I gave up. The whole room is fancy and high tech but they forgot a thing or two. The setting is spectacular. The staff id friendly, polite and enthusiastic. The renovations are superb. But perhaps in a month or so they will work out the kinks. I enjoyed my visit at Elora Mill. I would like to return in a year where I will find a warm room, a TV that works properly and a coffee maker that actually makes coffee. Fortunately, I have a sense of humor.

No comments: