Wednesday, November 28, 2018

November 28, 2018. Madison, Mississippi. November 11, 1946.

On November 11, 1946, my father wrote in my autograph book. Someone must have given me one and I had everyone I knew write a note. I continued the practice for several years. Then I quit. Autograph books went out of fashion. At some point, I threw it out but I removed the sheet my father wrote along with one written by a Colonel Grinstead when he visited us in Vancouver. My fathers hand writing was terrible, which is part of the charm. Also he forgot one line of the poem so was forced to tuck the missing line squeezed between two others. I have no idea where the poem comes from but I think it is charming. A few months ago I came upon the paper in my old writing case and decided to bring it out to the light of day. Today we picked up the poem framed. Now it will be hung just beside the door to our powder room so everyone who visits us would get to see it. Except my fathers writing is a scrawl and not easy to read. Here is what he wrote to me: Darling Ruth:- 11/7/46 Do good sweet maid and let who will be clever. Do noble deeds don't dream them all day long. And so - make life & the vast forever one glad sweet song. Daddy. I wonder what my father would have thought about my life? Unfortunately he died before any success we had. Now I am thrilled to have his message to me on my wall. And I hope the grandchildren will see it too. Nifty.

No comments: