Thursday, September 10, 2009

September 10, 2009. Chevy Chase, Md. US Open.

This 2009 US Open has been a pleasure to watch.  When we were in Nova Scotia, I had the time and inclination to watch matches not only in the afternoon but also into the evening.  It was a great luxury.  The tennis has been terrific and the quality of the play has been very high.  It seems that there are many excellent players right now and that on any day, anyone could win the match.  Certainly the hitting is so much harder compared with twenty years ago, especially with the women.  Now that I am back at work we watch some evening matches and try to catch up with what else happened during the day.   The problem is that the matches go on so long that I am always leaving the match to go to bed so I never  know the score until the next day.
 
Last night I gave up when Soderling and Federer were playing and Soderling finally won a set.  It was a good thing I did too, because I quit at 11:00 and they went to five sets.  As it was, I was much later than my bedtime.  Tonight, around doing the laundry, we are watching the Nadal and Gonzales match.  I love to watch the emotions and the quality of the play.  Actually, I enjoy every athletic competition, even curling and darts.  It is so interesting to try to figure out the strategy and the skill levels.   Ken really only watches the games if he is tired or if he has nothing else to do.  But not me.  I would watch every game.  The next problem is that we will go to the farm this weekend, where we have no TV.  I will have to find out the winners after we return to town.  But for now, I am enjoying the play.

No comments: