Tuesday, September 22, 2009

September 22, 2009. Western Head, N.S. Hockey.

The Maple Leaf's won the game in a shootout. It was exciting even though it was a pre-season game. We had fun. Ken and Carol, my sister and brother-in-law, and Ken and I all squeezed into our little office to watch the hockey game between the Pittsburgh Penquins and the Toronto Maple Leafs. It was not really a true contest because the top two players from the Penguins were resting for the game while the Maple Leafs had several players trying to make the team, but it was fun to watch on many levels. The first period was all Pittsburgh with two beautiful goals, but the second and third period was won my Toronto, actually in every part of the game. I lost track of the many times the puck hit the goal post for Toronto but finally one of the young players trying to make the team scored with one minute to go in the game. He was eighteen years old and he scored his first NHL goal to put his team into over time. After a five minute period with the score till tied, the same young player scored the first goal in the shoot-out and the Penguins went on to win the game. It was very exciting.

It is difficult if not impossible to watch a whole hockey game, at least it is for me. I was brought up watching the second and the third period of the hockey games on TV, so now I only watch a part of every game. Actually, I don't like to watch hockey. I hate the fights so I only watch in the play-offs, and then if a fight breaks out I turn the TV off, unless of course Ken wants to watch and then I leave the room. It is such a stupid part of the game. Hockey is a wonderful game to watch when it is played well. Speed, tenacity, teamwork, skill, and strength is all on display all the time during a hockey game. Tonight it was all on display and I enjoyed every minute, except in the second period, when Ken and I went to the hot tub.

Way out at sea appeared a small city, at a place I know is only the Atlantic Ocean. Lots of lights flashing and streets and roads appearing to move around. The fish are running and all those light are the fishing boats. It is quite a sight. I am so pleased I am not a fisherman. But I enjoyed watching the lights from the comfort and warmth of my hot tub, then come into my comfortable home to watch the last of the hockey game. It was a very enjoyable game, even though we four were all squeezed into the TV room.

No comments: